Professor Jill Downie
Professor Jill Downie was appointed to the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academic in July 2012. From 2007 – 2012 Jill was Pro Vice-Chancellor of the Faculty of Health Sciences and also Professor of Nursing at Curtin University.
She was appointed to the national Expert Panel in Higher Education for the Office of Learning and Teaching in 2013 and invited by UNESCO to the international Expert Panel for ‘ICT in Higher Education Foresight Project’ in 2015.
Jill is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.Back to top
Professor Downie is an established national and international researcher with numerous grants, publications and conference presentations, including keynote addresses.
In her role as DVC, Academic, Jill is responsible for Curtin Learning and Teaching and the quality assurance processes of learning and teaching across the University; the Library and Learning Centre; Student Support Services including Counselling and Health Services, Sport and Recreation, Housing, Child Care; Student Services from Admissions though the continuum to Graduation; Academic Registrar's Office; Ethics, Equity and Social Justice, and the Centre for Aboriginal Studies (CAS) and Indigenous strategy.Back to top
Memberships, Awards and Training
1998 - Doctor of Philosophy, Curtin University
1993 - Postgraduate Diploma in Health Promotion, Curtin University
1993 - Nursing Child Assessment Satellite Training Certificate, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
1987 - Bachelor of Applied Science (Nursing) with Distinction - Primary Health Care
1986/87 - Child Health Registration, Curtin University
1979/80 - Midwifery Training - King Edward Memorial Hospital. Perth W.A. Registered Midwife, June 1980
1974/77 - Nursing Training - Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Perth W.A. Registered General Nurse, July 1977
- Non Executive Director of both the Bethanie Inc. Board since 2006 and a Non-Executive Director of Bethanie Inc Housing Board since 2010 .
- Jill was also a Non Executive Director on the Perth Primary Care Network Board from 2009-2012 when it transitioned to the Perth Central and Eastern Medicare Local, until 2013.
- Executive of Australian Council of Pro Vice-Chancellors and Deans of Health Science (2007-2012).
- In early 2011 she was appointed as a Non Executive Director on the Australian General Practice Network Board till 2012 .
- Non-Executive Director of the Bethesda Hospital Board in 2007-2010.
PVC Health Sciences Curtin University (2007-2012)
Head of School Nursing and Midwifery, Curtin (2002 - 2007)
Professor of Nursing (2000-2012)
Non-Executive Director Australian General Practice Network (2010-2011)
Non-Executive Director Bethesda Hospital (2007-2010)Back to top
- Teaching and learning
- Indigenous maternal and child health
- Community health nursing
Journal Articles (Research)
- Hauck, Y. L., K. H. Stoll, W. A. Hall, and J. Downie. 2016. "Association between childbirth attitudes and fear on birth preferences of a future generation of Australian parents." Women and Birth 29 (6): 511-517.